Skip to main content

MMEA Conference: Making Music with MixCraft


As you may know, the Mac Lab was overbooked this semester so the district purchased 12 laptops loaded with MixCraft 5 for us to use in Music Technology I. One benefit of having 12 computers instead of 5 with a class size of 25 is that there is more individual learning/creating time.

This clinic was with Jim Frankel from SoundTree. I will be purchasing a new book he just co-wrote entitled Making Music with GarageBand and MixCraft. This book features lesson plans for music technology which is exactly what I am looking for.

I asked James about some of the issues I was having with MixCraft. The main thing was that I could not take my mp3 files from my Mac and import them into MixCraft. I kept getting error messages. James then told me the problem was that I was taking Mp3s from my Mac computer and sending it to MixCraft. For some reason which is not written anywhere on the MixCraft pampflets, I need to download these Mp3s from a pc Itunes. As a result, I will be sending my mp3s to my office Dell computer and loading them up onto Itunes there. I will then put the files in the district server dropbox for uploading by the students.

New things I learned about MixCraft was how to change tempo and key.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Band Room: A New Design

Just in case we ever get a new or renovated high school (I might be dreaming), I wanted to be prepared for helping input the best design possible for a new band and chorus room.  I ended up attending a clinic by the Wenger group.  Wenger is the company that made the acoustic shells on our high school auditorium stage along with the two "soundproof" practice rooms that were installed back in the 1960's.  The company is now the standard company used in the United States for music room design. I learned many things at this clinic.  Firstly, I learned that most bands and choruses have their own rehearsal rooms, practice rooms, and offices.  We spent a long time focusing on where sound goes after it leaves the instrument.  Our music room has a ceiling that needs to be at least four feet higher.  Additionally all the equipment in the room cuts down on reverberation.  It is suggested that any closets or storage areas in a band room have open grilled doors so that air and sound c...

Learning Theory through Pop Music by Matthew F. Finnegan

Did you know that most pop music has a four beat pattern where the snare drum usually accents beats two and four? Example: "Get a Grip" by Aerosmith! At 8:00 am I attended what I consider my favorite clinic thus far at the MENC All-Eastern Music Educators Conference. Titled "From Simple to Complex: Leading the Listener to Learning," clinician Mathew F. Finnegan gave great examples of how popular music can be used in the classroom to teach music theory. The idea is this: teaching music theory through the old school fashion of notes on a page and through classical music does not work in today's classroom. In order to create the motivation for students to want to learn theory, we need to reach out and use the music which relates to them the most and connect it with the content we want to teach them. I found this clinic to be very inspiring. Here we just focused on the beat, but this clinician has already established how to incorporate pop music with the teach...