Skip to main content

2015: The Best Year for Student Learning!

Google is offering 200 people involved with education to their office in Boston for a day of training.  They have asked anyone interested to apply to attend this event by publishing how 2015 will be the best year for student learning!

For me, this is a year of clarity.  I've been teaching music for seven years and lately have seen a group of teachers in Massachusetts and surrounding states working on new common assessments for music.  I was interested in it at first and then the more I looked into it, found that assessment became the cornerstone of the music class and took over the curriculum, much like what it is doing in other subject areas which have high stakes testing.  I was looking to simplify the expectations, take out the randomness in the assignments I was giving, and provide clear definitions as to why I was teaching what I was teaching.  One day I was on Pinterest and saw the Recorder Karate curriculum...and thought, oh yeah, this works for 3rd and 4th graders why can't I apply that to high school band?  The idea with the karate belt system is that you will not earn the next colored belt until you have mastered all the challenges within a certain belt.  The key word here is "mastered."  Basically it is giving the kids the message that a B is not good enough...you must work hard to get an A if you are going to move up the ladder.  It also really gets it in their head that the curriculum is spiral....you can't really understand part B if you did not grasp part A as they are related.  I think in the past my curriculum could not actually live up to this standard.  The lessons were NOT related, students did not understand WHY they were learning what they were learning, and their musicianship as result did not get as high as their potential.

How does Google play a part in this?  My students will be creating a Google sites portfolio to place all of their recordings, screenshots, reflections for growth of learning and pictures of belts they have earned.  They will be able to see, hear, and live their enhanced musicianship.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clarinet 101: Simple Steps to Improve Your Clarinet Section by Dr. Gail Lehto Zugger

While at the conference, I attended a clinic focussing strictly on the clarinet.  I learned some pretty cool tricks to help young clarinetists sound great.  I learned that elementary and middle school clarinet players tend to lean their right elbow on their thighs which is not good.  Additionally, they usually have their chins pointed down which cuts off the amount of air they can get through the instrument.  The clinician gave a great idea for explaining just how much breath is needed for good air support in clarinet playing.  She told us to tell the students that they need to pretend they are 100 years old and that they need to be able to take a deep enough breath to blow out 100 candles.   A question I asked was how to handle clarinet playing with students who have braces.  When playing a clarinet, the lower lip should curl in over the lower teeth, but if you have braces in the way, what do you do?  The clinician was stumped! Someone in the audience told us all her method, which was

Vocaroo.com Online Voice Recorder

www.vocaroo.com I discovered Vocaroo.com last year through Dr. Alex Ruthmann.  Vocaroo is an online voice recorder which gives you a link to the recording along with the ability to download in multiple forms.  It was not working on my school server when I tried it a few months.  I checked it out again yesterday as I was trying to find an alternative to Google Voice for another teacher who wanted a recording to last over three minutes.  I was pleasantly surprised that is fully functional and now even lets you upload recordings.  Sure you can do this on SoundCloud but you need to log into that.  As a teacher, I find that 20% of my time spent utilizing technology is filling out usernames and passwords.  Luckily, some cloud-based software are now letting you sign in with your Google account.  Vocaroo requires no username or password so it is a winner in my book.  You can even receive an embed code for your website.   One negative is that your file will be gone forever if the internet