Skip to main content

Reflection and Getting Better!

This is my second semester teaching Music Production I and Concert Band at Pentucket Regional High School in West Newbury, MA.  As I begin this new year, I am trying to think of ways that I can improve my teaching as well as all the aspects of my job. 

Firstly, I found myself scattered with assignments last semester.  I tried to use the school's online information collaboration portal known as School Loop, but it was hard for students to find assignments that I posted.  As a result, I have created a wiki (www.pentucketmusic.wetpaint.com).  Here, students can simply click on the calendar to see what is due (only one assignment so far).  I provide a link on a due date so that students can access the materials which are located somewhere else on the wiki.  I also added a forum section where I am asking one question per week that the students must answer.  The first question is who is your favorite music artist and why.  I am reading the responses and am responding to them with links to other webpages or YouTube videos.

Additionally, this semester I am going to pass out one copy of the project outline to each group.  Last semester I tended to tell the class how to do stuff.  My goal now is for them to have to ask me less questions about the "how" and more of the contented "what."  I am additionally going to be copy/pasting the project outlines onto the wiki so students can have it on the computer while they are working both at home and school.

For Concert Band, I have purchased a four-draw organizer for students to put their music folder in.  The music folder area in the music room is probably the most disorganized aspect of the room.  As soon as one student goes to grab a folder, other students' folders end up on the ground. 

I am pretty much all done selecting the music for Concert Band this semester.  The concert is going to be fantastic!  Looking back, one of the issues we had last semester was that for a five-week period, we had a performance every week.  From football games, Veteran's Day ceremonies, color-day and the holiday concert, our students were busy catching up.  Our first gig for the band this semester is not for a few months.  As a result, I feel like we can slow down and focus more on music concept exercises in order to build a higher level of musicianship within the band.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clarinet 101: Simple Steps to Improve Your Clarinet Section by Dr. Gail Lehto Zugger

While at the conference, I attended a clinic focussing strictly on the clarinet.  I learned some pretty cool tricks to help young clarinetists sound great.  I learned that elementary and middle school clarinet players tend to lean their right elbow on their thighs which is not good.  Additionally, they usually have their chins pointed down which cuts off the amount of air they can get through the instrument.  The clinician gave a great idea for explaining just how much breath is needed for good air support in clarinet playing.  She told us to tell the students that they need to pretend they are 100 years old and that they need to be able to take a deep enough breath to blow out 100 candles.   A question I asked was how to handle clarinet playing with students who have braces.  When playing a clarinet, the lower lip should curl in over the lower teeth, but if you have braces in the way, what do you do?  The clinician was stumped! Someone in the audience told us all her method, which was

Vocaroo.com Online Voice Recorder

www.vocaroo.com I discovered Vocaroo.com last year through Dr. Alex Ruthmann.  Vocaroo is an online voice recorder which gives you a link to the recording along with the ability to download in multiple forms.  It was not working on my school server when I tried it a few months.  I checked it out again yesterday as I was trying to find an alternative to Google Voice for another teacher who wanted a recording to last over three minutes.  I was pleasantly surprised that is fully functional and now even lets you upload recordings.  Sure you can do this on SoundCloud but you need to log into that.  As a teacher, I find that 20% of my time spent utilizing technology is filling out usernames and passwords.  Luckily, some cloud-based software are now letting you sign in with your Google account.  Vocaroo requires no username or password so it is a winner in my book.  You can even receive an embed code for your website.   One negative is that your file will be gone forever if the internet