Skip to main content

Nine Inch Nails Meets Garage Band at Pentucket!

Always trying to stay on top of my game with the latest technologies in music technology, I often will speak to my college professors or search online to see what's new.  Though not my professor, I often check out the webpage of Dr. James Frankel. He posted a podcast on the latest music technology innovations...and he caught my attention with the Radiohead re-mix project.  I found out that the project was shut down once I went to their webpage, but then learned the Nine Inch Nails was doing a similar thing.  The following project was a perfect start to this semester's Music Production I course and Garage Band. 

How I Worded the Assignment: 

As the music industry rapidly changes, passive listeners are now becoming active creators. Bands like Nine Inch Nails and Radiohead are now allowing users to download tracks from their songs and let subscribed users manipulate those tracks to create their own compositions to share with the world. We will be using Garage Band to create group Nine Inch Nails remixes.

The Nine Inch Nails webpage explains:
In the studio, we record everything in a multitrack format, separating all the parts onto different "tracks" that can be manifested individually. These tracks are then mixed down to two tracks - left and right (stereo) - that arrive to you in the form of a CD or Mp3. We're giving you all of the individual multitracks that were used to create the stereo ones you know. By loading those tracks into the appropriate multitrack application of your choice, you can remix and manipulate the original parts to your liking. 

My Directions:
Step 1: Go to www.remix.nin.com
Step 2: Click Register
Step 3: Enter your information for registration
Step 4: Check your e-mail for registration link. You may need to look at your spam folder and click the link they provide you
Step 5: Go back to www.remix.nin.com and login with your new username
Step 6: Click Mix
Step 7: Choose a track to download. Make sure that under format, you choose a song that used Garage Band
Step 8: Hit download
Step 9: Open Garage Band
Step 10: Open downloaded Nine Inch Nails folder and drag loops into Garage Band
Step 11: Create your own Nine Inch Nails Composition
Step 12: In Garage Band, choose Share and Share to ITunes
Step 13: Go back to www.remix.nin.com and hit Upload Remix
Step 14: Congratulations, your composition is now online for the world to see!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clarinet 101: Simple Steps to Improve Your Clarinet Section by Dr. Gail Lehto Zugger

While at the conference, I attended a clinic focussing strictly on the clarinet.  I learned some pretty cool tricks to help young clarinetists sound great.  I learned that elementary and middle school clarinet players tend to lean their right elbow on their thighs which is not good.  Additionally, they usually have their chins pointed down which cuts off the amount of air they can get through the instrument.  The clinician gave a great idea for explaining just how much breath is needed for good air support in clarinet playing.  She told us to tell the students that they need to pretend they are 100 years old and that they need to be able to take a deep enough breath to blow out 100 candles.   A question I asked was how to handle clarinet playing with students who have braces.  When playing a clarinet, the lower lip should curl in over the lower teeth, but if you have braces in the way, what do you do?  The clinician was stumped! Someone in the audience told us all her method, which was

Vocaroo.com Online Voice Recorder

www.vocaroo.com I discovered Vocaroo.com last year through Dr. Alex Ruthmann.  Vocaroo is an online voice recorder which gives you a link to the recording along with the ability to download in multiple forms.  It was not working on my school server when I tried it a few months.  I checked it out again yesterday as I was trying to find an alternative to Google Voice for another teacher who wanted a recording to last over three minutes.  I was pleasantly surprised that is fully functional and now even lets you upload recordings.  Sure you can do this on SoundCloud but you need to log into that.  As a teacher, I find that 20% of my time spent utilizing technology is filling out usernames and passwords.  Luckily, some cloud-based software are now letting you sign in with your Google account.  Vocaroo requires no username or password so it is a winner in my book.  You can even receive an embed code for your website.   One negative is that your file will be gone forever if the internet