Skip to main content

SchoolTube is the New YouTube

I have always shared that it is important to always put work on display for the world to see. Not only does it advocate for your program, but it also promotes an atmosphere of "reflective buzz" within your student body. As a teacher, I have many issues posting things on YouTube. Aside from all of the real factors as to why I do not post Pentucket videos on this site, I think the biggest reason is that most teachers say that it is just plain wrong...and as a new teacher, I do not want to fight the system.

The best thing out there for my needs as a music teacher is SchoolTube! I was surprised the first time I used because I was able to upload a 15 minute video. You can only post 10 minute videos on YouTube. The webpage offers many contests to enter. My students enjoy seeing how many hits their projects get on the webpage. This makes them take their work more seriously since they know the world will be judging the projects, not just me. The best part is that the only messages people can leave are selected positive messages or a 5-star ranking system. The only negative I see to the webpage is that you cannot delete videos. I have e-mailed them to see if this a function they will include in the future.

SchoolTube: It's the Way to Go!
www.schooltube.com

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Mr. B,

This is Andrew from SchoolTube.com. Thanks for the kind words, and I am glad that you and your students enjoy using our site. For future reference, you are actually able to delete videos by logging in, going to your profile, searching for the desired video you want to delete, and uncheck the box that says "active". I know those instructions are rough,and we are working on a way to make the process easier, but if you would like to email me I will be happy to get in touch with you with more details. andrewa@schooltube.com
Thanks!!!
Tony B. said…
Thank you for your comment, however your instructions are incorrect. There is no option for me to uncheck the box which says active unless I login as a moderator and not just logging into the account. Even then, searching for the video for this feature does not occur via the search engine. Do you have streamlined instructions somewhere on your webpage?

Popular posts from this blog

Clarinet 101: Simple Steps to Improve Your Clarinet Section by Dr. Gail Lehto Zugger

While at the conference, I attended a clinic focussing strictly on the clarinet.  I learned some pretty cool tricks to help young clarinetists sound great.  I learned that elementary and middle school clarinet players tend to lean their right elbow on their thighs which is not good.  Additionally, they usually have their chins pointed down which cuts off the amount of air they can get through the instrument.  The clinician gave a great idea for explaining just how much breath is needed for good air support in clarinet playing.  She told us to tell the students that they need to pretend they are 100 years old and that they need to be able to take a deep enough breath to blow out 100 candles.   A question I asked was how to handle clarinet playing with students who have braces.  When playing a clarinet, the lower lip should curl in over the lower teeth, but if you have braces in the way, what do you do?  The clinician was stumped! Someone in the audience told us all her method, which was

Vocaroo.com Online Voice Recorder

www.vocaroo.com I discovered Vocaroo.com last year through Dr. Alex Ruthmann.  Vocaroo is an online voice recorder which gives you a link to the recording along with the ability to download in multiple forms.  It was not working on my school server when I tried it a few months.  I checked it out again yesterday as I was trying to find an alternative to Google Voice for another teacher who wanted a recording to last over three minutes.  I was pleasantly surprised that is fully functional and now even lets you upload recordings.  Sure you can do this on SoundCloud but you need to log into that.  As a teacher, I find that 20% of my time spent utilizing technology is filling out usernames and passwords.  Luckily, some cloud-based software are now letting you sign in with your Google account.  Vocaroo requires no username or password so it is a winner in my book.  You can even receive an embed code for your website.   One negative is that your file will be gone forever if the internet